Entex LA (Long Acting: extended-release) is used to treat the symptoms of the common cold and other respiratory infections. Entex LA may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Guaifenesin is an expectorant. It is used to break up congestion and mucous. Guaifenesin thins mucous, increases lubrication of the respiratory tract (lungs, nose, and throat), and increases the removal of mucous.
Phenylephrine is a decongestant. It constricts (shrinks) blood vessels (veins and arteries), which reduces the swelling of mucous membranes in areas such as the nose and sinuses.
• Drink plenty of extra fluid while taking this medication.
• Do not crush or chew the tablets. Swallow them whole or break them in half where they are scored to make them easier to swallow if necessary.
Before taking this medication, consult your doctor if you have
· high blood pressure or another type of heart disease;
· a peripheral vascular disorder (poor circulation to the hands and feet);
· glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye(s);
· an overactive thyroid; or
· difficulty urinating or an enlarged prostate.